Whether you need to upgrade to a new vehicle or simply need to raise some fast cash, learning how to sell my car for cash is a lesson everyone needs. Selling a car for cash is not difficult, but there are a few things you should know to maximize your potential returns. Let’s take a look at a few ideas, shall we?
In some cases, the best you are going to do is sell your vehicle for salvage. This means the car or truck is not running or requires repairs that are too costly. There comes a time in the life of every vehicle when it just is not financially feasible to keep it on the road. This can happen after an accident in which all air bags deploy or damage is so severe as to render the vehicle totaled. Of course, your car may just have come to the end of its usable life. Here are a few tips:
- Title- some states require a title to sell for salvage, some do not. It is imperative you know the rules of your state.
- Metal Prices- if you have time to wait, it could be beneficial to sit on your salvage car for a short time. Metal prices fluctuate throughout the year and affect the amount you can get from a salvage yard.
- Trim- sell some lightweight yet lucrative parts before sending to salvage. Por ejemplo, on some vehicles, the plastic headlight assembly is worth several hundred dollars even used. Know your vehicles worth!
Are you still wondering how to sell my car? The next best way to transform your car into cash is by completing a private party sale. If your car or truck has a little life left, you can get quite a bit more than salvage by selling it to an individual. Here are a few tips:
- Clean- even if you are only asking a few hundred dollars, clean that puppy up! Clean cars sell much faster than dirty ones because they give the appearance of being cared for.
- Replace the do-nut- If you are running around on a do-nut spare (that tiny tire many small cars have for a spare) replace it. Since you are selling the car a brand new tire is not required but at least a decent used tire.
What is the best method to sell my car for cash? Either works, though going through a salvage yard is usually quickest. In fact they will often come to your home or other location (if it broke down) and tow the car away for you. When is the last time you got a tow and a check?